Do I need a Contract?
Procurement processes all goods and services contracts outside of construction, copyright, patents, and research. For a matrix of which office on campus processes which type of agreement, click here. Generally speaking, all services can be submitted on a UCSB Purchase Order without the need of a signed contract. Not sure who can sign? CLICK HERE.
If a vendor is asking you to sign a Contract, Quote, Agreement, or Statement of Work, please DO NOT Sign. Feel free to call us at x4670 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let you know what the best method is to proceed. We can let you know if you need a Contract, or if you can submit the document using a standard Purchase Order in Gateway.
Procurement is available to process and execute contracts for travel and entertainment *if* a contract is absolutely necessary. Not all suppliers actually require a contract to be signed to hold a room or reservation…use of the Corporate Card can be appropriate in these cases. Contact us at email@example.com or x4670 with any questions.
If your vendor absolutely requires a signature on their contract, or if you want us to write a contract, please submit a Contract Request Form in Gateway. Please allow at least 2 weeks lead time; while some contracts can be simple and processed within a week, some are very complex and as a small office we need your help to have ample time for negotiation.
Click here for our Contract Considerations Checklist (updated 2-2019)
Request for Contract
Submitting a Contract Request:
- If you have a contract that your vendor provided, attach it to your Contract Request Form in Gateway.
- If you need the Contracts Department to write a contract, please complete all sections on the Request for Contract (Form I below). Please attach this to the Contract Request Form in Gateway.
- If the services are on Federal Funds, and are over $3,499.99, please complete the below Form A (see below).
- Remember, all purchases over $99,999.99 need to be competatively bid.
UC-Provided Services (revenue or income to the UC) - CLICK HERE
You do NOT need a Contract for the following:
- Editing Services
- Interpreting Services
- Data Entry
- Website updating/simple creation
- Honoraria: Speaker and Lectures do not require a contract IF being paid in full by an Honoraria. (See policy http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/3410219/AM-D371-35, and http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/3410215/AM-D371-16 for details.
Tips for expediting the contract process:
- Ask the vendor if they will accept a purchase order in lieu of signing a contract
- Please attach a Form A if using federal funds over $9,999.99
- If your department is asking Procurement Services to write a contract, please attach a fully completed Request for Contract form with all the "who, what, where, when, why" information
- Know what the Statement of Work is; if you doesn’t know what the SOW is then it’s likely we won’t know either!
- If using a supplier-provided contract:
- ask your supplier to use the legal entity name: The Regents of the University of California (not UCSB, UC Santa Barbara, or the name of an employee)
- double-check the supplier has entered the correct dates
- Ensure the vendor contract that is sent over is the final version, or the version the department has approved
- do not also submit a Form I: Request for Contract
- do not sign the contract, scope of work, quote, or proposal (only Procurement has Signature Authority to bind the Regents into an agreement, and this will hold up the processing as we may need to back-pedal with your supplier)
- if the supplier and supplier location is the same as a previous contract, please ensure the supplier has included the same changes we made last year. This is the FASTEST way to get your contract processed.
- Use a comment on your Gateway requisition letting us know your department has read the contract, and can agree to the requirements. As always, we will ensure the contract meets UC policies and has the most favorable terms to the University, but there are certain provisions such as cancelation penalties, attendee guarantees, and use of product that are specific to and subject to the end user's acceptance.
- If you intend to ask for an Insurance Waiver from Risk Management, please only submit the Contract Request Form when you receive the signed Waiver from Lee Mudrick.
- We may need to obtain the Certificate of Insurance; having that beforehand can speed up the process (click here for the UC Insurance Requirements)
- You can always submit the vendor information before you have a contract ready to pass over to Procurement. When you're negotiating with your supplier, feel free to send them our Business Information Form. You can use the completed form for the Gateway Supplier Add Form.
- Click here for our Contract Considerations Checklist.