Travel & Entertainment

Travel Advances

Travel advances are payments made before a trip takes place. They can be cash to an employee or non-employee traveler or non-cash paid to vendors on behalf of employee or non-employee travelers.

Travel advances are granted when the traveler does not qualify for, or does not yet have, a corporate card. Travel advances will be allowed for group travel meal expenses or foreign per diem (lodging and meals and incidental expenses), unless an exception is granted for other expenses. Submit the cash advance request to Accounts Payable between 10 and 30 days before the beginning of the trip.

UC Santa Barbara has programs in place to minimize out-of-pocket expenses for university business travelers:

Departments and travelers are strongly encouraged to use these programs to reduce departmental and administrative costs associated with administering cash advances.

Requesting Advances

WebTEV Advance

 If a cash advance is required, a request is made through the WebTEV.  The Advance button on the Travel Preparer screen is used to initiate a cash advance.  Since all cash advances are tied to a TripID, care should be taken in selecting the correct TripID.  WebTEV Advance can also be used to reimburse a traveler to cover charges posted to their personal credit card in advance of a trip.  When an advance is used to pay off known charges, said charges must also be entered on the appropriate travel voucher.  For example, if a traveler charged a conference registration fee of $200 to his personal credit card, and would like to be reimbursed for that charge prior to the end of the trip, a WebTEV Advance should be requested.  As part of the advance request process, the $200 registration charge should be entered on the linked WebTEV.  Travel Accounting will review open travel vouchers to confirm that charges have been entered prior to releasing cash advances to pay personal credit card charges.



New Trip – If you are requesting a cash advance for a New Trip (i.e., a TripID has not been assigned), then select: Create a New Advance for a New Trip.  You will be required to enter a Vendor ID, Trip Information, Purpose or reason for Travel Advance, dollar amount, default FAU, and select: Create Avance.


Existing Trip – If you are requesting a cash advance for an Existing Trip (i.e., a TripID has been assigned), then select: Create a New Advance Against an Existing TripID.  You will be required to enter Purpose or reason for the Travel Advance, dollar amount, and select: Create Advance.

Questions – Questions regarding  WebTEV Advance or other Travel situations should be directed to: Annette Gonzales

Recovery of Advances

The traveler must account for the total amount of all expenses and advances by submitting a travel voucher within 21 days of completion of the trip.

  • If the amount advanced is less than the expenses entered on the , the traveler will be paid the difference.
  • If the advance exceeds the reimbursable expenses, the traveler must write a check payable to UC Regents for the excess.
  • The traveler must submit a travel voucher even if he or she is not owed any additional reimbursement.


Delinquent Travel Advances

After 60 days have elapsed from the date the travel voucher was due, Accounting & Financial Services will initiate action to recover the advanced amount. If the employee fails to substantiate expenses and to return any unused cash advance amounts within 120 days after the completion of a trip, the university is obligated under IRS regulations to consider such amounts as income to the employee.

For more on this policy, see UC Business and Finance Bulletin Policy and Regulations Governing Travel G-28.