Travel & Entertainment

Frequently Asked Questions

Connexxus is a secure Web portal for booking University business travel which automatically applies UC negotiated rates

The UC Accounting Manual for Disbursements (D-371-16) governs the level of approval, and method of procurement for non-payroll transactions, including Reimbursements, entertainment, travel, consultants, honoraria, memberships, and moving expenses, among other things.

While we don't have a systemwide contract with Costco, Walk-In Purchase Orders are accepted at the local store for goods (Memberships are not paid with a Purchase Order; see below for details) with the following procedures:

  • Visit the Membership Counter prior to shopping. Costco will require your department have a Business Membership. To set that up, Costco may require paper documentation proving you work for the UC (that could be in the form of a paystub, website print-out, or directory listing), and may require to see your Driver's License to prove you are who you say you are. Cards may be issued to the indivudal names, not the UC department.
  • UCSB has a signed a fairly benign Master Contract with Costco, where any dept on the attached Department List can purchase off the Agreement.
  • UCSB limits the membership to the Business card priced at $55. Executive Memberships are NOT allowed, and Costco no longer provides "Corporate" accounts. These will be standard accounts that are just paid by UCSB.
  • Memberships are restricted to up to 6 cards per account. Each $55 includes just 2 cards.
  • Once you have the membership, you may execute Walk-In PO's in Gateway.
  • Take your printed out Walk-In PO to the Membership counter, and walk away with your product(s). Costco will provide you with an Invoice, that you would send over to Accounts Payable.

To pay invoices, please write your Gateway Walk-In PO # on the invoice, and send the product invoices to
Membership invoices ($55) cannot be paid on a purchase order, but should be processed on a Membership Form 5 directly to Accounts Payable. Please contact Accounts Payable for membership questions.

You have the option to use a purchase order in Gateway, or pay the invoice on a check request through Travel & Entertainment (Annette Gonzales).

*IF YOU want to use FLEXCARD or a  CHECK REQUEST*, we reccomend your department contact Patrick Anglin (x5740) in Procurement to verify insurance is acceptable and a satisfactory safety rating for the bus company.

Authorizing Signature

The following excerpts from G-28 outline the requirements for the Authorizing Signature.

A. Approval of Travel Expense Claim (G-28 pp 10)

The authority to approve travel expense claims must be documented by a signature authorization form on file with the Campus Controller’s Office (or the Medical Center Controller, where appropriate) or by an electronic signature authorization. The travel expense claim should not be approved by a person who reports directly or indirectly to the traveler. Persons delegated the authority to approve travel shall not approve their own travel. In addition, travelers may not approve the travel of a near relative, e.g., spouse or domestic partner, child, parent, etc.

UCSB Travel Accounting requires an original signature from the person authorizing a Travel Expense Voucher. Use of signature stamps, copies of the signatures or electronic signatures is not permitted due to the risk involved when using these types of methods. 

Traveler’s Signature

The following excerpts from G-28 outline the requirements for the Traveler’s Signature.

c. Certification of Travel Expenses (G-28 pp 44-45)

The traveler must either sign or provide an electronic equivalent on the travel expense claim certifying that the amounts claimed are a true statement of the expenses incurred on official University business and that the original of all required receipts has been submitted, whether scanned or faxed. Internal departmental expense claim forms are not an acceptable alternative for obtaining the traveler’s signature on the travel expense University of California Policy G-28 Travel Regulations Page 46 of 55 claim (or electronic equivalent), unless approved as an exception to this policy.

Submission of the travel expense claim under a traveler’s electronic authorization will be considered certification that the traveler incurred the expenses being claimed. In accordance with IRS regulations, an electronic signature must:

· Identify the traveler who is submitting the electronic form;

· Authenticate and verify the submission; and

· Be the final entry in the submission.

In an attempt to accommodate situations where it is not practical to obtain the wet signature of the Traveler on a TEV or worksheet, UCSB has identified the following alternate options:

Option 1.             The traveler can submit original receipts with their original wet signature on each receipt.

Option 2.             The traveler can send an email from their account that includes copies of receipts and the statement below:

I, (NAME OF TRAVELER), certify that the above is a true statement, that the expenses claimed were incurred by me on official University business on the dates shown, and that I have attached original receipts for each expense as required by University policy.”

Link to the Domestic Travel Reimbursement Worksheet:


Only individuals issued a formal delegation of authority to sign contracts can sign written contracts for goods and services. This includes travel and entertainment contracts (food, catering, hotels, and other event-related services). Click here for a list of those with delegation for the campus.

Contracts issued on behalf of the Regents are only valid if signed by a delegated official of the state. If you sign a contract for the University, you are taking on personal risk. The contract may be considered unenforceable if anything were to happen; and if the contract is found to be valid, the signatory may be held personally liable for the contract.