Accounts Payable

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have an approved purchase order dated in the current fiscal year but have not received an invoice or made payment, have your business officer send an e-mail to Russell Remington requesting that Accounting accrue the expected new year payment. Include all relevant info in the request.

If you have received a payment for services that will not occur until the new year, have your business officer send an e-mail to Russell Remington requesting that Accounting defer the new year payment received. Include all relevant info in the request.

In either case, have your business officer send an e-mail to Russell Remington requesting that Accounting defer the new year expense or revenue. Include all relevant info in the request.

Honoraria payments for speakers or lectures do not require any form of contract. Please prepare Honoraria on a Form 5, with backup; either an invitation or schedule of the event they are participating in. Accounts Payable will need the home address and TID#. If any they are NON US citizens, contact Accounts Payable at x7037, as you will need additional processing information.

The UC Accounting Manual for Disbursements (D-371-16) governs the level of approval, and method of procurement for non-payroll transactions, including Reimbursements, entertainment, travel, consultants, honoraria, memberships, and moving expenses, among other things.

The Vendor Blanket Form in Gateway is like a checking account; you set up a fixed amount on the order, and as invoices are charged against it, the total amount of your order "draws down".

  • Vendor Blankets (VB) may be setup for a one-year initial period, and may be extended using the Vendor Blanket Revision Form for one-year increments. As a best practice, VBs should not cross fiscal year boundaries.
  • VBs cannot be backdated; the authorization to purchase must exist prior to accepting services.
  • VBs associated with a UC contract or a UCSB bid can be set up through the contract end date to match the contract terms.
  • VBs expired two months or longer are considered permanently expired, and you'll need to setup a new VB if your department wishes to continue doing business with that vendor.
  • VBs should only be used for services that are recurring throughout the year in nature, such as temporary personnel invoices, copier or equipment maintenance, and trash pickup.
  • Please note, most services (including delivery) require insurance. Obtaining insurance may add processing time to your order.
  • If the annual expenditure for the VB exceeds $100k, we may need go out to bid, unless a bid has already been awarded through Procurement or UCOP.
  • If the vendor supplies items with the UC name or logo, the vendor must register annually with Learfield. Please contact Carol Cox at the bookstore with any questions about this requirement

In the description box, use the following example text: "Provide copier maintenance services to the University of California, Santa Barbara, xxxx Department for the period of 7/1/20xx - 6/30/20xx. Copier Model # xxx and Serial Number xxx. Rates as follows: xxxx. Account Number as follows: xxxx"

There are three ways to look for invoice payment information in EZ Access in the Accounts Payable section. Please click here for instructions.

Beginning on July 1, 2014, the University may qualify for a partial exemption of sales and use tax on certain research and development equipment purchases and leases. To be eligible for this partial exemption, your purchase must meet all three of these conditions:

  • Be engaged in certain types of business, also known as a “qualified person.”
  • Purchase “qualified property.”
  • Use that qualified property for the uses allowed by this law.

For eligibility and process questions, please contact Ron Hirst in Accounts Payable, or view the CA BOE's website:

The Certificate form can be found here:

The UCSB Partial Tax PERMIT NUMBER is: 015-036188

As outlined in Bulletin BUS-46, Use of University Vehicles :

  • Traffic/parking citations shall not be paid from any source of University funds.
  • The driver of a University vehicle is responsible for the payment of any traffic/parking citations incurred on or off University property during the time that said driver is responsible for the operations of the vehicle. University parking citations have the same legal authorization as those issued by municipal or state law enforcement authorities.

Also, according to the Accounting Manual Chapter A-253-27, Administrative Fund Payments, personal expenses incurred while on University business, such as traffic fines or parking tickets, are prohibited.