Annual Reminder: Theft-Sensitive Items
Fr: Jacob Godfrey, Chief Procurement Officer, Business & Financial Services (BFS)
Re: Annual Reminder: Theft-Sensitive Items
If you experience or detect a theft, please report the incident to your Department Administrator, UCSB Police, and Risk Management.
Theft-sensitive items include:
- Cash & Cash Equivalents (e.g., event tickets, parking and bus passes, etc.)
- Computers, laptops, cell phones, cameras, video and teleconferencing equipment
- Tools, parts, materials
- Pianos, other musical instruments, and production equipment
- Furniture, appliances (e.g., microwaves, mini-fridges)
- Consumable alcohol
- Other theft-sensitive items
- Identify theft-sensitive non-inventorial items to track
- Establish internal controls and procedures
- Conduct an inventory of theft-sensitive items annually
BUS-10 Principles of Accountability with Respect to Financial Transactions
Department Heads and Department Administrators (DAs) Compliance Responsibilities: Ensure cash and cash equivalents are secure.
Cash and cash equivalents must be locked in a secure receptacle or safe at all times except when signed out by a cashier for working cash.
Departments should establish procedures to ensure physical security for portable devices and media housed within their immediate work area and under their control, such as laptop computers, PDA's, memory sticks, CD ROM's, etc.
Items purchased for less than $5,000 or that have an expected normal life of one year or less, which are not inventoried as equipment…are subject to local University location inventory control procedures.