Travel & Entertainment

Moving & Relocation

Employees may be eligible for reimbursement of moving or relocation expenses. Moving expenses may be taxable. After reading the definitions below, be sure to check UC Business and Finance Bulletin G-13 - Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation for more details when considering whether to pay for moving or relocation expenses.


Moving expenses are authorized expenses incurred by a continuing academic appointee in moving to a different UC campus at the request or direction of the university, or by transfer. These expenses are reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects to a new residence. Such expenses also include the cost of travel to the university location for the individual and his/her immediate family.

Removal expenses are authorized expenses incurred by an academic appointee newly hired to the University of California system in moving to the Santa Barbara area.

Relocation allowance payments can be made to senior staff, and are intended to offset higher living costs in a new location; they are not intended to reimburse or offset the actual or presumed costs of moving from one location to another.

The total value of relocation allowance payments may not exceed 25% of an appointee’s annualized base salary. Payment is generally made monthly through the payroll system over a four-year period, with 40% of the allowance paid in the first year, 30% in the second year, 20% in the third year and 10% in the fourth year.

Additional terms include House Hunting, Sign-on Bonus, and Temporary Living Expenses.


An employee can handle moves in one of two ways:

  1. Use a university agreement to arrange for moves; the university will pay the vendor directly
  2. Pay for expenses ahead of time and seek reimbursement from the university


Who is eligible?

Relocation allowances apply to senior staff provided they meet all of the following criteria:

  • They are recruited for an eligible staff or assistant position
  • They were not employed by the University of California at the time of recruitment
  • They live outside of California

Before authorizing any staff household or library relocation, review the Moving and Removal staff policies.

What is covered?

The Offices of the Chancellor and Provost pay the following:

  • 100% of library
  • 50% of household (eligibility is based on title code)
  • 50% of one vehicle
  • 50% of one small pet
  • 50% of transportation for the employee and immediate family

Authority/Routing Authority

The authority to pay faculty’s moving or removal expenses resides with the Dean or the Vice Provost-Academic Personnel. All forms should be forwarded to your Dean’s Office for review. Before authorizing any faculty household or library relocation, review the Moving and Removal policies and contact your Dean’s Office with any questions.


Academic routing:

  • Offices of the Chancellor and Provost (for approval of the moving/relocation coordinator, academic personnel consultant, and vice provost)
  • Accounts Payable – attn: moving/relocation coordinator

Non-academic routing:

  • Offices of the Chancellor and Provost – attn: Moving/Relocation coordinator
  • Associate vice chancellor – Human Resources
  • Offices of the Chancellor and Provost – attn: Moving/Relocation coordinator
  • Accounts Payable - attn: assistant manager

Moving Expenses & Reimbursements:

When you've paid for moving expenses, you can request reimbursement for eligible expenses by submitting a paper Travel Expense Form; the Web Travel system cannot be used. Regarding mileage, you can claim the rate for moves or you can submit gas receipts.