I have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead of a Social Security Number.  What should I do?

Reporting to the IRS depends on correctly identifying you, so it is very important for you to have your ITIN on file with the University.  Follow these steps to have a 1098-T generated:

Furnish the University with your valid ITIN.  You cannot supply this information through the TCRS web site or customer service telephone number.

Form W-9S (Request for Student's or Borrower's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) is the official IRS form used to state your ITIN. You need only to complete Part I of this form when requesting a 1098-T. Enter your ITIN in the spaces marked "Taxpayer identification number." Bring legible copies of the completed Form W-9S, and the card or letter you received from the IRS assigning your ITIN, to the Registrar's Office.

The annual deadline for UCSB to file 1098-T tax information electronically with the IRS is January 31, although data may be transmitted earlier as circumstances allow. Please make sure any corrections are completed before mid-March to promote accurate filing.


faqs tags: 

Unit or Topic: