Do I need a Contract?
Procurement Services processes business (non-research) contracts. For a matrix of which office on campus processes which type of agreement, click here. Generally speaking, Professional and Personal Services can be submitted on a Purchase Order without the need of a signed Contract. The Contracts Analyst assigned to your requisition will work with you and the vendor to determine the appropriate procurement method. If a vendor is asking you to sign a Contract, Quote, Agreement, or Statement of Work, please send it through to Contracts. We can let you know if you need a Contract, or if you can submit the document using a standard Purchase Order in Gateway. You can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're not sure what to do.
Click here for a helpful guide on how to submit the Contract Request Form in Gateway.
Request for Services - Contract Packet
Submitting a Contract Request:
- If you have a contract that your vendor provided, attach it to your Contract Request Form in Gateway.
- If you need the Contracts Department to write a contract, please complete all sections on the Request for Services (Form I below). Please attach this to the Contract Request Form in Gateway.
- If the services are on non-federal funds, and the services are Professional in nature, please complete a Form M (see below) to document price reasonableness. This is required for all Professional Services, per the Public Contract Code.
- If the services are on Federal Funds, and are over $2,999.99, please complete the below Form A (see below). This is required for all federal transactions over $2,999.99.
UC-Provided Services (revenue or income to the UC)
If your department wishes to contract for UC-provided services (revenue to your department), you will need a Rate and Recharge package or approval through Budget and Planning prior to contract execution. Departments will be directed to complete an Unrelated Business Income questionnaire. The Rate & Recharge approval is required annually, and adheres to policies Academic Personnel Manual APM-020 and BFB policy A-56. Note: as a Section 501(c)(3) entity, the UC must be operated exclusively for charitable and educational purposes. We will be looking at your contract request to ensure the substance of the agreement meets the UC Mission.
You do NOT need a Contract for the following:
- Editing Services
- Interpreting Services
- Data Entry
- Website updating/simple creation
- Honoraria: Speaker and Lectures do not require a contract IF being paid in full by an Honoraria. (See policy http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/3410219/AM-D371-35, and http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/3410215/AM-D371-16 for details.
Tips for expediting the contract process:
- If your department is asking Procurement Services to write a contract, please attach a fully completed Request for Services form with all the "who, what, where, when, why" information
- If using a supplier-provided contract:
- ask your supplier to use the legal entity name: The Regents of the University of California (not UCSB, UC Santa Barbara, or the name of an employee)
- double-check the supplier has entered the correct dates
- do not sign the contract, scope of work, quote, or proposal (only Procurement has Signature Authority to bind the Regents into an agreement, and this will hold up the processing as we may need to back-pedal with your supplier)
- if the supplier and supplier location is the same as a previous contract, please ensure the supplier has included the same changes we made last year. This is the FASTEST way to get your contract processed.
- Use a comment on your Gateway requisition letting us know your department has read the contract, and can agree to the requirements. As always, we will ensure the contract meets UC policies and has the most favorable terms to the University, but there are certain provisions such as cancelation penalties, attendee guarantees, and use of product that are specific to and subject to the end user's acceptance.
- If you intend to ask for an Insurance Waiver from Risk Management, please only submit the Contract Request Form when you receive the signed Waiver from Lee Mudrick.
- We may need to obtain the Certificate of Insurance; having that beforehand can speed up the process (click here for the UC Insurance Requirements)
- You can always submit the vendor information before you have a contract ready to pass over to Procurement. When you're negotiating with your supplier, feel free to send them our Business Information Form. You can use the completed form for the Gateway Supplier Add Form.