PeopleSoft Conversion Information
The conversion from the mainframe CATS (Capital Assets Tracking System) to PeopleSoft (Asset Management module) on July 1, 2015 will have a variety of short to long term impacts on how both Equipment Management and departments process transactions and conduct daily business.
Short Term Impacts
- The Asset Management module of PeopleSoft will be brought up on Monday, July 20 (it may be sooner, but I am not making any promises – priority must be given to the Accounts Payable and General Ledger modules, and any issues there must take precedence over AM).
- During this time, no property records will be updated – no disposals, value adjustments and, especially, new property numbers created. No new property tags will be sent out.
- This does NOT mean that departments should stop submitting inventories, EIMRs, Asset Information Update Forms and other documents to Equipment Management – we will stack up all those documents and begin processing them in PeopleSoft the moment that we have access.
Medium Term Impacts
- Data Warehouse reports.
- All reports in the EZ Access and Hyperion reports will continue to be available as of July 1, but they will report on data from the legacy CATS system – we will not decommission them for some time, especially since information related to disposed assets will not be carried forward into PeopleSoft.
- On July 20, only two new reports will be available for the PeopleSoft asset data: the EZ Access Inventory Inquiry (“Physical Inventory”) and Asset Inventory Inquiry (detailed single asset information). These reports will meet most department needs. Mary, Darshan and I will work to add the other reports to both the EZ Access and Hyperion environments over the following months, as time permits. Mary and Darshan must give priority to financial and other reports much more critical to central office and department business functions. In the meantime, if departments need other asset information (such as depreciated values), they can contact me, as I have workarounds in place and access to the raw data. I will post a detailed list of reports, anticipated availability, and workarounds on the Equipment Management webpages before the end of the week.
- No User information (the old, 2-character field in CATS) will be imported into PeopleSoft, where the Custodian field must be a name formatted, LASTNAME,FIRSTNAME and tied to an employee ID number. In order to add Custodians to assets records formerly containing User information, Equipment Management will send out full inventory lists to departments, sorted by User. If departments return the lists and provide the PI/employee name that corresponds to the User, Equipment Management will update all records. This will be a labor intensive, but a one-time process, the main burden on our side.
Long Term Impacts
- Data Warehouse Reports. Due to different formatting and field lengths in PeopleSoft, we will be able to improve the data quality of reports. Full details will be posted on the webpages, but these improvements include: longer asset description, eliminating the need to abbreviate and truncate; inclusion of building name on inventory reports; use of full custodian name, not just user initials; tracking of asset location history (and custodian history); separate field for Comments, eliminating need to use Alternate Location field for “notes.”
- Asset numbers will be created once the purchase order is issued, and property tags sent to departments [this is a good thing – you will now have the property tags on hand when the equipment arrives and be able to tag it before it disappears into labs, etc.]. These assets will be in requisitioned status and will not appear on standard inventory reports until they have been fully paid, capitalized and placed in service (record made active).
- Asset numbers will include the full year the asset was acquired: 20168000123 versus the old 168000123 format. Property tags in the new format will begin to be issued January 1, 2016. We will not mass replace the older tags, but any replacement tags sent out will be in the new format.
- There will be no department access to PeopleSoft until phase 2 or phase 3 of the project, so any record updates, such as change in location, custodian, custody, modifications to description, manufacturer, model number, serial number, must be sent to Equipment Management via the Asset Information Update webform available on our webpages at http://www.bfs.ucsb.edu/forms/asset-information-update-form, or via spreadsheet/attachment during the physical inventory process, if multiple records need to be updated.
Data Warehouse Reports - EZ Access
|Report||Status / Projected Availability||Comments / Work aroundS|
|Inventory Inquiry||Available July 20, 2015, once PeopleSoft Asset Management system is up and running.||Report contains several new columns and some values are formatting differently.|
|Asset Inquiry (embedded in above)||Available July 20, 2015, once PeopleSoft Asset Management system is up and running.||Report has been reformatted. Transaction information no longer available, but Location and Custodian history now displayed.|
|Depreciated Value Calc Inquiry||Available @ October 2015.||If departments need depreciated values, contact Vaughn Boyle: official values can be obtained from UCOP website.|
|Disposed Inventory Inquiry||Available @ October 2015.||No disposed assets are being imported into PeopleSoft - existing report for assets disposed in CATS continues to be available. This report will be revised to include all disposals, before and after PeopleSoft conversion, so two reports will not need to be run.|
|Write-Off Inquiry||Available @ October 2015.||No new Write-Offs will be processed before October 2015 - existing report for assets written off in CATS continues to be available. This report will be revised to include all write-offs, before and after PeopleSoft conversion, so two reports will not need to be run.|
Data Warehouse Reports - Hyperion / Brio
|REPORT||STATUS / PROJECTED AVAILABILITY||COMMENTS / WORKAROUNDS|
|Inventory Report||Available @ December 2015||EZ Access Inventory Inquiry, available July 20, can be used in the interim.|
|Inventory Asset Report||Available @ December 2015||EZ Access Asset Inquiry, available July 20, can be used in the interim.|
|Inventory Report by Building||Available @ December 2015||If departments wish to view their inventory sorted by Building/Room, rather than custody code, they can run the EZ Access Inventory Inquiry, export the results to Excel, then re-sort the results by Building and Room.|
|Inventory Inquiry||Will be deleted.||Identical to the Inventory Report, except run for a single asset, rather than a Custody Code. Redundant, not needed, and will be deleted.|
|Depreciated Value - All||Available @ December 2015||If departments need depreciated values, contact Vaughn Boyle: official values can be obtained from UCOP website. EZ Access version of report will be available @ October..|
|Depreciated Value - Asset||Available @ December 2015||If departments need depreciated values, contact Vaughn Boyle: official values can be obtained from UCOP website. EZ Access version will be available @ October.|
|Disposed Inventory Report||Available @ December 2015||No disposed assets are being imported into PeopleSoft - existing report for assets disposed in CATS continues to be available. This report will be revised to include all disposals, before and after PeopleSoft conversion, so two reports will not need to be run. EZ Access version will be available @ Octoer.|
|Inventory Write-Off List||Available @ December 2015||No new Write-Offs will be processed before October 2015 - existing report for assets written off in CATS continues to be available. This report will be revised to include all write-offs, before and after PeopleSoft conversion, so two reports will not need to be run. EZ Access version will be available @ October.|
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.